Welcome to the Princeton Club of Washington - Visit to Mount Vernon

 
   

Visit to Mount Vernon

Please join the Princeton Club of Washington for an exciting trip to Mount Vernon - George Washington's home - on Saturday, April 30th!

The Princeton Club of Washington will visit George Washington's home of Mount Vernon, VA for Saturday, April 30th. This visit will coincide with "Revolutionary War Weekend," which will feature one of the largest Revolutionary War re-enactments of the year! Additionally, there will be multiple tours and activities available.



Date: Saturday, April 30th 

Time: 10:00 AM 

Location: 3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway Mount Vernon, VA 22121

Directions: Please click here for directions/parking/transportation details

Cost: $14.00 per person 


Click here to buy tickets!!!

 

Click here for Facebook Event!!!



Mount Vernon was the plantation house of George Washington, first President of the United States and his wife, Martha Dandridge Custis Washington. The estate is situated on the banks of the Potomac River in Fairfax County, Virginia, near Alexandria, across from Prince George's County, Maryland. The Washington family had owned land in the area since the time of Washington's great-grandfather in 1674. In 1739 they embarked on an expansion of the estate that continued under George Washington, who came into possession of the estate in 1754, but did not become its sole owner until 1761.

The mansion is built of wood in a loose Palladian style, and was constructed by George Washington in stages between 1758 and 1778. It occupies the site of an earlier, smaller house built by George Washington's father Augustine, some time between 1726 and 1735. It remained Washington's country home for the rest of his life. Following his death in 1799, under the ownership of several successive generations of the family, the estate progressively declined as revenues were insufficient to maintain it adequately. In 1858, the house's historical importance was recognized and it was saved from ruin by The Mount Vernon Ladies' Association; this philanthropic organization acquired it together with part of the Washington property estate. Escaping the damage suffered by many plantation houses during the American Civil War, Mount Vernon was restored.

Mount Vernon was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960 and is today listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is still owned and maintained in trust by The Mount Vernon Ladies' Association, and is open every day of the year. Allowing the public to see the estate is not an innovation, but part of a 200-year-old tradition started by George Washington himself. In 1794 he wrote: "I have no objection to any sober or orderly person's gratifying their curiosity in viewing the buildings, Gardens, &ca. about Mount Vernon." 


The Princeton Club of Washington
© Copyright Princeton Club of Washington, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Alumni Development Software